Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Technology + Positive Behavior Management

Technology + Positive Behavior Management


While perusing the podcasts at TeacherCast Podcast Network, I came across an episode that spotlighted Sam Chaudhary, the co-founder of the web-site Class Dojo. Class Dojo is a classroom tool that helps teachers, parents, administrators, and students manage and improve classroom behaviors. Class Dojo helps to build positive behaviors that are beneficial to learning. The website, which is very user-friendly, runs on the projector during class and it can interface with the work being done on the projector. Teachers can sign up (for free!) and are able to customize behaviors that they want to build in the classroom. Each student is assigned an avatar - my class thought this was fantastic.


When the teacher observes this behavior occurring, he/she can simply click and award a plus 1 to that student. If the student makes a bad choice, you can select the poor choice he or she made and take away a point. It keeps an ongoing record of where they are at in points. The points aren't collected to trade in for something, it is used as real-time feedback and runs on complete intrinsic motivation. 



When the point is awarded, there is a visual and audio alert, all the data is stored, and reports can be shared with parents, students, and administrators.



I have used Class Dojo twice now and independent work time has been pleasant. The students were excited at first and talked about the avatars that they have. I allowed them to do this so that it could get out of their system haha. The second day I used it, the students were whispering, "Class Dojo!" to other students so that they knew to stay on task so they could be awarded a plus 1. The students occasionally look up at the screen, but for the most part were working to prove to me they deserved a point! It was pretty exciting.

One student was off task and I took away a point from him and he made a comment, "that sucks." I took away another point for being disrespectful. A few minutes later I observed this student helping a student sitting next to him with his work. So he had the opportunity to redeem himself a plus 1 by "Helping Others".

I highly recommend trying this app. It's free and positive! What can you lose?


9 comments:

  1. I am so glad you posted about Class Dojo! I have been using it for about two weeks now in my computer lab classes. When the students arrive, I have the site up on my whiteboard, and they immediately come in, stop, and wait for instruction. For the first 15 minutes of class, I leave it up, and walk around the room, with my phone as my remote. It is amazing how effective this classroom management tool has been. And the kids love getting those points. Then for the last 30 minutes, I minimize the screen, but leave the volume up so the students can hear the awards, but it's not until the end that they see how we all did today! :)

    As you stated,"The students occasionally look up at the screen, but for the most part were working to prove to me they deserved a point!" I was actually a little concerned at first that this would be a distraction for them, but it has proven to be just the opposite.

    What more could you ask for? "Positive," "free," AND effective! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your experience with using Class Dojo! The way you use it in the computer lab sounds fantastic. I will experiment with my class in shutting off the projector and share their reports at the end of the lesson. It's nice to know that children still have that motivation just to be acknowledged. :-)

      Thank you for providing your input!

      Jamie

      Delete
  2. Hi Jamie,
    I enjoyed this website I think it is a convenient way to make a Classroom for K-12 to keep them on task. As well as the teacher can observe the conduct of the students and continue to improve the levels of students based on reports for each student. This is an excellent which provides a first hand solution regarding communication between students, their teachers, and the students’ parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for for stopping by to read my blog as well as commenting :-)

      I agree with you in that this is a convenient way to keep them on task. I like that this site has the option to reward as well as take away, because I believe that both methods work for different students. I find myself rewarding more so than taking away.

      Jamie

      Delete
  3. Class Dojo sounds great in theory. However, not to be a downer...but how do you handle those classes in which 18 of the 22 kids are NOT motivated? And what if the kids begin that contest of "how many negative marks can I get"? I have tried the old school method (years ago)of names on the board, and checks for continued behavior, etc. It was not a good thing.

    I also think, that in my class of ESE students, this would be a major distraction. My kids have a hard enough time staying focused on the lesson. Having this projected on the board, or even having it in their thoughts, would leave them off task.

    Perhaps if this was something that was done on a hand held tablet, as a general monitor tool...I think it is a good idea in theory, but in the classroom I just don't see it working.

    At least for me.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by to read my blog as well as leave a comment :-)

      I believe, and I'm sure you will agree, that there isn't a one-size fits all behavior management plan...for any class, or any teacher for that matter. There is some validity in being consistent, but I believe in trying new things and having a behavior plan for a different time of day.

      For example; I have a ticket system where I hand out (and take away) "admission tickets" to students who follow (or break) the classroom rules. The students can later purchase from my treasure box with their tickets. I also have lottery tickets which I only use occasionally during a lesson - students earn lottery tickets when they participate, complete their independent work, or provide a correct answer. Then I collect the lottery tickets after the students write their name on the back and I draw a few names and they get a piece of candy.

      Both of these ideas require me to replenish items using my own money (which I'm sure all teachers can relate to). So when I ran across something as unique and as free as Class Dojo, I was ecstatic! How long my class and I will enjoy it? I'm not sure. I do not use it every day and that might be the trick. The students started their work just the other day and one student asked excitedly, "Class Dojo???"

      I did share this site with my grade level (which includes our school's ESE teacher). I would like to get feedback from her, or you if you decide to try it, because you do bring up a good point..... "I also think, that in my class of ESE students, this would be a major distraction. My kids have a hard enough time staying focused on the lesson. Having this projected on the board, or even having it in their thoughts, would leave them off task."..... I have a student in my class who is ADHD and is non medicated and they were on task more than usual when I used Class Dojo. So it can be effective.

      I hope you let me know how it worked for you if you try it out. Thanks again for your thought provoking comment :-)

      Jamie

      Delete
  4. Jamie,

    As always, a very visually appealing blog that reflects the contents as well. Great topic, easy to follow and engage in. What a great introduction for Class Dojo, something I had never heard of but will definitely consider using now. I especially love that it runs on the students' self-motivation: no tangible rewards, just good old fashioned recognition.

    Great post,
    Meghan S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meghan,

      Thank you for stopping by to read my post as well as comment (oh, and the compliments! :-)

      I think every student, deep down, wants to be acknowledged for their hard work. This is such a cute way to do just that. I hope that you enjoy using it and let me know how it works for you!

      jamie

      Delete
  5. One of my biggest concerns as a new teacher is classroom management. Between my several months of teaching experience, substitute teaching, and education courses, I feel that I am better than I was at the beginning. However, I think a program like Class Dojo would be great, not only for me, but for my future students. Would this stay up on the whiteboard the whole day/period? Or only during specific times?

    ReplyDelete