Friday, October 26, 2012

Digital Storytelling in my Classroom

In my Fundamentals of Technology for Educators class, this week we were asked to draw upon the ideas of curriculum integration and digital storytelling to implement in my classroom. The first curriculum integration that came to mind for me was writing (as I'm sure every 4th grade teacher would). I would like to use digital storytelling as a means to plan, organize, and write to a prompt.

Teaching 4th grade writing is 99% about ensuring success on FCAT Writes. At this point of the year we have planned and brought writing to completion together quite a few times. The problems I am facing the most are: motivating the students to write and organization. If I am able to provide students with technology for their writing from beginning to end, motivation may improve. Also, the students who are having a hard time organizing their writing may need a different visual/media as technology. Some apps that I have previewed for their use include: StoryKit, Idea Sketch, Evernote (all free).

My next step is to decide on which app will be the best to create a digital story. I will prefer to use an imaginative narrative prompt; I believe that the digital stories will be more creative and high interest. I would like to hear suggestions on how to use iPads for Digital Storytelling....this is definitely a learning process!

3 comments:

  1. Jamie
    You are correct about motivating the students to write. Digital stories gives students a new look on writing. I think when they see the finished results they become motivated to write more. In EME 5050 we discuss digital storytelling in detail. to help with organization we used storyboards. You may want to use this with your class. I found 2 websites that may help you with using IPads for digital storytelling. I have not looked at them in detail but I hope this helps.
    https://sites.google.com/site/digitalstorytellingwiththeipad/home
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/storykit/id329374595?mt=8

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of using digital storytelling to develop a writing project. However, would you feel comfortable using this as your only method of instruction? With writing being a HUGE benchmark in 4th grade I would want to do as much practice and authentic repetition as possible. On the other hand, getting students hooked on writing can be a difficult task. Using technology to hook those reluctant writers is a great strategy.

    Now, would you create the entire project or would it be student generated at any time? I would imagine that all the way up to the writing test you are cramped for time...

    I have a question that I would like to ask, and I am asking all of the students in our class. I'd be interested in your reply, especially as you have a critical benchmark grade...would your answer differ if you were maybe a 5th grade teacher?:

    How much time should content area teachers spend teaching students how to use programs like Prezi or other digital storytelling platforms? I mean, in a time when we are given more content to cover and fewer hours/days to deliver it...can we afford to spend time showing students (those who do not understand) how to use the digital platforms? Or better yet, can we afford to NOT teach them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie,

    On my blog I have posted a great amount of websites and apps that can be used for the children for digital storytelling.

    I was just discussing FCAT writes with my mother. I was explaining to her the focus it is for 4th grade teachers, which I think it should be inforced a little more, but should not be ignored in the lower grades as well. If we start teaching the students the fundamentals in the early grades instead of pushing writing aside until 4th grade, maybe the students would be capable of writing better entering 4th grade. Digital story telling is a great way for students to express their ideas and writing. I do not think it should take place of the writing. I think that is my biggest fear.

    ReplyDelete