Sunday, September 30, 2012

Elementary Blend

What is Blended Learning?


"Blended courses (also known as hybrid or mixed-mode courses) are classes where a portion of the traditional face-to-face instruction is replaced by web-based online learning." (BlendKit Reader pg. 6) I first encountered Blended Learning at UCF as an undergraduate. A class would meet face-to-face once a week and half of the class would be completed online.

There are numerous advantages to blended learning. One being the freedom to complete assigned tasks at your own discretion. This is probably why I favor blended learning over traditional face-to-face. In addition to completing assignments when you desire, you have all materials available to you 24/7. I prefer blended learning for my own personal learning because of these advantages. So now I consider how I could implement blended learning into the elementary classroom.


What is my Blend?


When creating a blended learning course, one consideration to make is how many online components to face-to-face components you will have. I am limited in this decision as an elementary teacher; so my decision lies solely in how many online components I will have. I use Edmodo (an educational social network) as my learning platform. I compile websites, spelling words, and homework in a folder so that my students have access to these resources at all times. 

I usually use KidBlog for the students to publish their writing. My hope this year is to have the complete writing process on KidBlog. The students will post their planning then their rough draft. Their classmates will have the opportunity to peer edit through KidBlog and the students can edit their writing based on the suggestions and corrections their peers and I make.

The one problem I face wanting to use blended learning as an elementary teacher is that I must allow students time in class to complete assignments online. When I plan my lessons, I try to keep an eye open for opportunities to make learning interactive and dynamic as opposed to using technology just to show off technology. (BlendKit Reader pg. 17) 

I would love to hear more ideas about how to blend technology into an elementary classroom (or any classroom for that matter) Leave a comment :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment