Sunday, August 26, 2012

Student's Best Interest or Convenience?

Dr. McLeod asks: "Are we doing what is best for our students, or are we doing what is most convenient for us?"


Teachers are experts at adaptation; we roll with the punches and go with the flow. We acknowledge that every child is different and learns differently. We understand that every child doesn't read on the same level and we differentiate our instruction to respond to individual needs. But when it comes to preparing students for the future and for life after education, are we providing them a disservice by hanging back in our comfort zone and sticking with the "old style" of teaching?

Everyone looks engaged and there is obviously order and respect in this classroom. The teacher is most likely using the textbook provided, following the rigid outline of lower order questioning, and selecting a percentage of students for answers. I've been there before; afraid to deviate from the plan and focusing mostly on classroom management. I used to have a perception of what a "good classroom" and a "good teacher" looked like: all the students are listening to the teacher, it's quiet, and the teacher selects only the students who politely and bravely raise their hands. Are we teaching this way because it's convenient and comfortable? When these children go out into the real world 10 years from now, will they use the skills being shown in the above picture?

Most job interviews and applications today ask, if not require, that you have computer/technology skills and experience with specific programs. Imagine what 10 years from now holds! We are no longer only responsible for teaching academics and social skills, we need to teach our 21st Century students how to collaborate online and successfully utilize devices for learning.


This is my class last year! ::beaming with pride:: :-)

Was it convenient for me to plan and teach with technology? At first it wasn't. There are quite a few procedures to go over with your students before I would suggest allowing them to even hold the iPads. But by the end of the year planning took almost no time. I mainly focused on my students using Edmodo and KidBlog. There is a plethora of resources that teachers can use; I wanted my students to become masters at these two tools. The part that wasn't convenient was setting up the class on these websites and then showing them the procedures on how to use them. But don't we always teach our students procedures with everything? This was just one more thing. (I know, I know...I can't believe I said it's only one more thing... on top of 100 other things we have to do) But I can tell you it was worth it. The students are motivated immediately if you even say the word 'iPad'. Almost all of the students in my class already knew how to use one (and I'm at a Title I school). These aren't the same kids we were teaching 10 years ago. These are digital natives! 21st Century Kids!




I believe I had my students in mind and I did what was best for them. Yes, I still made them complete the writing process with...::gasp:: paper and pencil! I do teach 4th grade ya know... But instead of "writing" a final draft, they were able to publish their writing on KidBlog. So they were practicing their typing skills, as well as editing a final time. When you publish your writing on KidBlog, all the students in the class are able to read it and reply to it! Instead of me, the teacher, being the only one to see their writing and give them feedback, their peers were giving feedback! And I assure you, when they know the entire class is going to read what they publish, they are careful to check, double check, and triple check. (just like I will before I publish this blog!) I really enjoyed sitting at home on my iPad and bringing up all my student's writing and commenting on what they published. I felt like this was a time and space saver!
I also had my students in mind when I created Edmodo. If you haven't heard of Edmodo before, I would describe it as a secure "Facebook". It resembles Facebook in ways, but the students can only post to our class page or any group they have been invited to by a teacher. When students get home and, oops!, forgot what homework was or forgot their spelling words at school, they are able to post a  question on Edmodo for another classmate or teacher to answer.

Teachers are working hard, planning at night and on the weekends. (did I mention we don't get paid overtime?) I'm not sure anything is convenient about our job. A good teacher always thinks about what is best for a child, but we may not always think about what's to come in the future. Especially since once we feel like we know all the new technology and we buy the newest iPhone or iPad it could be out-dated and "old news" by midnight that night. So I'd like to revisit the expression: "go with the flow"; we are made for training our kids about anything new that comes our way. We adapt and we adapt with our student's best interest in mind.



4 comments:

  1. "...we need to teach our 21st Century students how to collaborate online and successfully utilize devices for learning."

    I loved hearing about your approach to the writing process with your 4th graders with iPads and KidBlog and your use of Edmodo.

    I was curious, though, are there other age-appropriate types of "online collaboration" or "use of devices for learning" that you're still contemplating. Could any of those approaches also live alongside (or replace) existing learning outcomes you are pursuing?

    Genuinely curious. :-)
    Kelvin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelvin,

      You really got me thinking! :-)
      I have some ideas about students using Prezi or Power Point. I was leaning toward Prezi because it is all saved on the website rather than a computer or zip drive...And they would be able to share their presentation with others. I may try putting the students in groups and giving them a skill in math that we have learned. They could then create a presentation that could teach/review the skill to the class.

      Another idea I would like to try is having the students use and/or create QR Codes. The students could write a book review on a book they read and the QR Code could link to a website with the review on it. They could print out the QR Code and tape it in the cover of the book.

      Just some ideas!

      Jamie

      Delete
  2. Dear Jamie,

    I love your attitude and your "pretty" blog! Inspiring! I hope to have my blog looking like yours by the end of this semester.
    You are (needless to say) beyond proficient and I am (as you will soon surmise) just learning :)

    No, nothing about teaching is convenient, and that is why a posted on my blog that I feel too often teachers take whatever "outs" they can because they are in the weeds, afraid of stepping outside the box, ready to check out at 3 pm...

    Since you posted the pictures from the 1890's I can tell that struck a chord with you as well... how can a timid, nay fearfull classroom ever possibly enable genuine learning, risk-taking, collaboratvie learning, etc?

    I taught in a preschool classroom where I could easily avoid that antiquated, rigid model of teaching, but how would a teacher step into "Best Practice" if she felt she wouldn't be seen as a good classroom manager...a "good" teacher.

    Respectfully admiring,
    Meghan Starling

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jamie,

    I’ve never had chance to try KidBlog and Edmodo before, but it sounds interesting to use these resources in your curriculum. Communicating with your students online or on other mobile devices makes studying and teaching so fun and easy.

    I really like your attitude that put more effort at the beginning and gain fruitful later on. I think education is somehow like grow product in soil, we planting, watering, fertilizing, and finally we could get something new at last. Also educator like mountain climber, when we reached the top of the mountain and looks down, the joy of victory is just overwhelming.

    Yun

    ReplyDelete